Launching an Instance Using Manual Launch
Before launching instances of other Teradata products, be sure to launch a Teradata Database instance using CloudFormation. You cannot use the Manual Launch option to deploy a Teradata Database instance.
- From the AWS Marketplace, locate the AMI from which you want to launch the instance:
A list of AMIs appears.
- New users: In the Search box, type Teradata.
- Returning users: Click Your Software, in the upper-right corner.
- Select the preferred AMI:
A product summary page appears.
- New users: In the list of AMIs, click the link for the preferred option.
- Returning users: Beside the preferred AMI, click Launch more software.
- Review the product configuration options and pricing details, then click Continue.
- Click Manual.
- At Select a Version, select the AMI version from which to launch the instance.
- [Optional] To view cost information for running the instance in a region other than the default, select the region at Pricing Details under For region.For information on the implications of the region setting with Teradata software, see Region and Time Zone Considerations.
- At Pricing Details under Hourly Fees, note the name of the EC2 Instance Type that you want to use.You will need this name to begin configuring the instance later in this procedure.
- Click Launch with EC2 Console beside the Region in which you want to run the instance.The EC2 Console opens to the Step 2: Choose an Instance Type page.
- Click beside the row listing the instance type you noted earlier, then click Next: Configure Instance Details.Launching instance types other than those that Teradata supports may result in the instance not launching. For more information, see Supported Instance Types.
- On the Step 3: Configure Instance Details page, change the default settings for the following parameters:
Parameter Action Auto-assign Public IP Select Enable. Network Select a different setting or click Create new VPC to run the instance in a network other than the default.
For more information, see Virtual Private Cloud.
- [Optional] Change the default settings for other instance parameters as follows:
Setting Action Number of Instances Enter a value other than 1 to launch multiple instances from the same AMI. Purchasing option Select the check box to Request Spot Instances. Subnet Select a different setting or click the link to configure a new subnet to run the instance in an Availability Zone other than the default.
For more information, see Region and Time Zone Considerations.
Teradata Server Management instances (also known as CMIC instance) require use of the database subnet created by the Teradata Database.
Placement group Select a setting other than No Placement Group to enable the instance to participate in a low-latency, 10 Gbps network.For more information, see Placement Groups.Note:Placement group appears when you request spot instances. IAM role Select a different setting or click the link to configure a new IAM role. Shutdown behavior Select a setting other than Stop.Note:The Shutdown behavior option is not displayed, if you selected Request Spot Instances. Enable termination protection Select the Protect against accidental termination check box. Monitoring Select the Enable CloudWatch detailed monitoring check box. Tenancy Select a setting other than Shared - Run a shared hardware instance.
- Click Next: Add Storage.
- [Optional] To set storage volumes to delete on instance termination, select all check boxes in the Delete on Termination column.Unless you set volumes to delete on termination, all data remains and storage-related charges continue to accrue. You can also enable this setting after launching the instance. For more information, see Setting EBS Storage for Deletion on Instance Termination.
- Click Next: Tag Instance.
- At Value, type a name for the instance.Naming the instance helps you identify it in the EC2 Management Console.
- Click Next: Configure Security Group.
- On the Step 6: Configure Security Group page, do one of the following:
Action Steps Configure a new security group
- Select Create a new security group.
- Enter a Security Group Name.
- [Optional] Enter a Description.
- Configure the SSH rule, and click Add Rule to configure additional rules as required.
For more information, see Security Groups and Ports.
Choose an existing security group
- Select Select an existing security group.
- Click beside the row listing the preferred security group.
- Click Review and Launch.
- Review the instance configuration summary information for accuracy, and click the applicable Edit link if you want to change settings before launching the instance.
- Click Launch.The time required for an instance to launch varies because instance types come in various sizes with varying combinations of CPU, memory, storage, and networking capacity.
- In the Select an existing key pair or create a key pair window, do one of the following, then click Launch Instances.
Action Steps Select an existing key pair
- Select Choose an existing key pair.
- At Select a key pair, choose the preferred key pair.
- Click the acknowledgment.
Create a key pair
For more information, see Key Pairs.
- Select Create a new key pair.
- Enter a Key pair name.
- Enter a Download key pair.
- Save the key pair file to the preferred location.
- Click to acknowledge that you have access to the private key pair file, then click Launch.
- View your instances in the EC2 Management Console, and monitor the status of the instance launch.
- Spot Instances: If you requested spot instances, click View Spot Instances.
- Instances: Click View Instances.
When the Instance State changes to running, complete the applicable procedure under Configuring Teradata Software for AWS.