Although we recommend launching a Teradata ecosystem on AWS, you can alternatively use the CloudFormation, Manual Launch, or 1-Click Launch option to deploy some Teradata components separately.
||Provides the ability to launch the following software by itself based on templates.
- A Teradata Database system using a choice of templates. For more information, see Database Templates. Requires no additional configuration.
- A Teradata Data Mover agent or cluster using a single template. Requires no additional configuration.
- A Teradata Server Management instance using a single template. Requires minimal configuration.
For details on the number of nodes, agents, and instances for the software listed above, see Launch Options.
||Gives you full control of all settings before launching Teradata product instances based on AMIs, but is more time-consuming than CloudFormation launch due to post-launch configuration requirements.
You cannot launch a Teradata Database or Server Management instance using Manual.
- Involves additional configuration steps after instance launch.
- Allows you to launch multiple AWS instances of a single Teradata product from one AMI based on the same configuration settings of your choosing.
- Provides for modification of all settings, including storage type and capacity.
- Automatically sets EBS root device volume for deletion on instance termination, but requires you to manually set attached EBS storage volumes for deletion. For more information, see EBS Storage.
- Provides for launching instances in placement groups and availability zones other than the default. Certain Teradata Database on AWS software benefits particularly from inclusion in placement groups. For more information, see Placement Groups.
- Requires some knowledge in setting up an instance.
||Easiest and fastest way to launch a single instance of Teradata products. Requires minimum configuration.
You cannot launch a Teradata Database or a Teradata Server Management instance using 1-Click.
- Allows you to launch a single AWS instance from one AMI with predefined settings recommended by Teradata.
- Can use only the predefined Teradata instance types.
- Presents difficulty modifying some settings after the instance is launched.
- Cannot modify the predefined storage size and type.
- Automatically sets EBS storage volumes for deletion on instance termination.
- Does not provide for launching of instances in Placement Groups and Availability Zones other than the default.
Available launch options depend on product. For more information see Launch Options. In all cases, be sure to launch a Teradata Database instance before deploying instances of other Teradata products.
For more information on launching an instance, see Subscribing, Launching, and Managing Products at https://aws.amazon.com/marketplace/help.